This used to be the location for "Choices, choices: Polyamory and monogamy in BDSM relationships" by non-famous Lauren. It is part of a series of articles entitled "Out of the Shadows: About BDSM" I've removed it from my site because of size constraints but you can read all of the articles at http://www.sexuality.org/l/subnet/AboutBDSM.htmlet/.
A Definition by "non-famous Lauren"
- "having multiple beloveds (as opposed to "monogamy" -- one marital partner -- or "polygamy" -- multiple marital partners). The word "polyamory" has a different meaning than sexual profligacy, open marriages, and swinging in that polyamory typically refers to having multiple long-term lovers, all of whom know about (though they may or may not be mutually intimate with) each other. The emphases on openness of communication and balancing the multiple commitments is the key feature that distinguishes polyamory from other forms of multiple partnering."
Further Reading: The definitive book on Polyamory is The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Possibilities, by
"If you fear lest you may not be perfectly equitable in treating more than one wife, then you shall be content with one."
The Koran - 4:3
- AltSex.org: "dedicated to the exploration of the miracle of human sexuality, in all its wonder and diversity."
- Polyamory.com/: "resources for poly's and those who love them.
- Polyamory.org/: This is a home page for the Usenet newsgroup alt.polyamory.
- Poly Texas: Polyamory in Texas -- outside the context of BDSM
- BDSM-Polyamory: A very low volume mailing list.
- BDSMPoly: an unmoderated list for discussion about and between people interested in or practicing both BDSM or D/s, and some form of Polyamory or Polygamy. This is an open topic, anything goes list. If you dislike 'offtopic' posts, long chatty threads and banter, this list may not be the best fit for You.
- Poly-BDSM: "People living Poly - playing BDSM"
Opinion from the Webmaster:
While swinging and polyamory are practiced within the scene, they are not intrinsic to BDSM (despite what some people might infere or imply.) As non-famous Lauren writes "polyamory in principle has nothing to do with BDSM ... however, possibly because not all BDSM necessarily involves sexual activity, or possibly because folks who do BDSM tend to be as highly into communication and openness with their partners as those who consider themselves polyamorous, the discussion and practice of polyamory does seem to come up a lot in BDSM." ("Choices, choices: Polyamory and monogamy in BDSM relationships" from part five of "Out of the Shadows: About BDSM" at http://www.sexuality.org/l/subnet/AboutBDSM.htmlet/) Others would argue that swinging and polyamory are mutually exclussive to BDSM -- or at least to submission. (See "Multiple Tops: Master, Mistress and Daddy Makes Three" by
The Twelve Chief Rules in Love (Special Poly-BDSM Version):
- Thou shalt avoid avarice like the deadly pestilence and shalt embrace its opposite.
- Thou shalt keep thyself
chaste^disease free for the sake of her whom thou lovest.
- Thou shalt not knowingly strive to break up a correct love affair that someone else is engaged in.
- Thou shalt not chose for thy love anyone whom a natural sense of shame forbids thee to marry.
- Be mindful completely to avoid falsehood.
Thou shalt not have many who know of thy love affair.Thou shalt not get arrested for public indecency.
- Being obedient in all things to the commands of
ladies^dominants, thou shalt ever strive to ally thyself to the service of Love.
- In giving and receiving love's solaces let modesty be ever present ^unless commanded to be naked.
- Thou shalt speak no evil.
- Thou shalt not be a revealer of love affairs.
- Thou shalt be in all things polite and courteous.
- In practising the solaces of love thou shalt not exceed the desires of thy lover.
More on Poly on this site:
- A well argued critical evaluation of Poly is "Multiple Tops: Master, Mistress and Daddy Makes Three" by
Master L.J.at http://www.EvilMonk.org/A/oldlethr.cfm
- For another definition of Polyamory, you can read the definition of Polyamory on the glossary page at http://www.EvilMonk.org/A/terms.cfm.
Additional Articles by Ambrosio
- "Some Notes on Safety for Meeting Online and Off" at
- "Meeting Someone Else into BDSM" at
- "An Open Letter to a Novice Domme" at
- "Perverted Vocabulary: a Glossary of Terms Used in BDSM" at
- "Some Notes on Netiquette and 'Net Basics" at
- "Marginalia on the Old Guard, Leather Traditions, and BDSM History" at
- "Play Nice: Some Notes on Scene Etiquette and Leather Protocol" at
- "A Proposed 'Pansexual Protocol'" at
- "An Open Letter to Law Enforcement" at
- "Some Criteria for Consensual D/s Contracts" at http://www.EvilMonk.org/A/contract00.cfm
- "Kinky Mainstream DVDs" (a critical list) at
- "Dawn Perlmutter's 'Dark Subculture' Witch Hunt" at
- "Anatomy for Flogging: The Back" at
- "A Rant on Mentorship" at
- "A Surprising Discovery" at
- "Is Masochism Addictive?" at